Monday, November 5, 2007

Ups and Downs

Writing through the peaks and valleys of life is a challenge. But I'm ususally pretty good at rolling with the punches. This weekend was one of those high and low times - first really high, then pretty low. I helped organize and then participated in a huge holiday kick-off signing at a local mall - yes - right out there in the mall. There were more than 20 authors from all over the state and I did something I've never done before - I sold every single copy of my books. What a high. I was on cloud nine. I left the signing and went to a big party with loads of my friends, drank, danced and had a terrific time. A good friend even shared some great news. Wonderful Saturday.
Then Sunday came. My daughter returned home from a sleepover with a terrible stomach flu. She hurled and cried and generally felt awful. Add to this my cramps from hell and my poor DH didn't know who to comfort first. He was amazing. Thanks to the doctor across the street and some serious meds, we're both a bit better this morning.
Believe it or not, I signed up for NaNoWriMo and was somehow able to write more than 2,000 words this weekend.
So what about you? Do you write when you're feeling bad? Get the meaty, emotional scenes cranked out when you're blue? Or must everything be on the upswing for your muse to show up?

5 comments:

Kelley Nyrae said...

I don't write as well when I'm not feeling well.

Dara Edmondson said...

For me, it depends what the problem is. I've found pain killers can yield some great stuff!

Macy O'Neal said...

I kind of look forward to being sick -- as long as I'm not throwing up or running a really high fever. If I'm just "sick enough" I can use it to get out of the day job for a day of writing!

(And, um, yeah, this really doesn't happen very often.)

Dara Edmondson said...

Yeah - I guess when I was working in an office, I enjoyed the occasional sick day so I could "get stuff done." I don't do down time too well;-)

Anonymous said...

I have to be feeling pretty good to get the writing muse to pay a visit. If the illness isn't too bad and I can actually sit up I can get some words down on paper even though they may not be too good. If I'm horizontal on the couch unable to move, that's a whole separate issue.